Thursday, November 9, 2023

Voting In An Off-Year Election In Minneapolis


On Tuesday,  I voted in the off-year election in Minneapolis, and the only item on my ballot was a race for city council.

I researched the candidates in Ward 9 only to discover that when I recieved my ballot that I resided in Ward 2.  D'oh!

As a registered Republican in ulta-deep blue Minneapolis, I usually vote against the incumbent in every municiple election knowing that my candidate will always lose. So, I voted for the Independent challenger,  Dan Orban. 

Democrat Hammer/ Sickle candidate Jason Chavez was the incumbent.

We have ithis diotic 'ranked choice voting' in Minneapolis, so Orban got my first vote, and then I wrote in 'Michael Baskins'' (who was a write-in candidate in Ward 9) as my second choice. 

I didn't have a third-choice candidate, although I once wrote-in 'Daffy Duck''a long time ago.

I was hoping that I had voted for an Independent, as in Independent Republican, or Independent Mainstream Democrat, or even a conservative, small 'd' Democrat (Did I mention I that reside in deep-blue Minneapolis?)

Walking home from the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church where I casted my ballot, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that someone had rebuilt my local post office that was burned to the ground in the 2020 George Floyd riots.

I got home, and wanted to know more about who I had just voted for, so I fired up my laptop and found Dan Orban''s campaign site. Candidate Orban is married (to a woman!) with two kids, and no experience in city government, which appealed to me. His platform boiled down to 'he loves his city, and thinks that people should help each other.'

I like a government that governs least.

I checked out incumdent Jason Chavez's Twitter and there was nothing about 'defunding police', just mostly filling pothole-type of stuff. He seemed kind've alright. 

Did I mention that I resided in deep-blue Minneapolis?




No comments:

Post a Comment